Monday 13 February 2012

Closure

April 25,2008 is a day that I'll remember for the rest of my life. The ground was barely thawed, the wind rustling through the giant maples. Everyone's faces were streaked with salty tears, even though we were all trying to stay strong for each other. As we slowly crossed the grass, through to rows of toomb stones, my hands began to shake at the realization of what was to come next. With my brother and sister quietly by my side, we approached the small hole in the ground. Placed beside it was the small marble box. As we inched closer, I was able to read the cold, grey stone and at that moment I lost all my strength. Unable to hold it in any longer, the tears began to flow down my red cheeks. The inscription read, "In loving memory of Larry William Boyce. Forever loved by Andrew, Brittany and Amy." Although four long months had passed since his death, I still hadn't accepted that he would be gone forever. It was at this moment that I finally came to terms with the fact that I'd never get another bear hug or butterfly kiss. We all gathered around that deep, dark hole as the box was carefully lowered to the bottom. When the ceremony came to a close, we all had a talk with Dad, to tell him we loved him and would never forget him. We all padded back through the cemetery to vehicles. It was finally over, the day we had been dreading for months. The burial provided a sense of closure for my family and we all will remember that day forever.


Summer 2001 (Dad, Me, Amy, Andrew) 

1 comment:

  1. Powerful memory, and indeed, evocative. It's not easy to write a hard truth, but you did a good job here.

    Level 4

    ReplyDelete